Design Life Diaries: La Boulange

Friday, August 1, 2014

La Boulange


Chris and I were driving home from a friend's house the other day when a restaurant name caught my eye. The sign read 'La Boulange' and it only took a few seconds to realize why it sounded so familiar. I'm sure you've noticed the rebranding of Starbucks pastries about a year ago- the new pink pastry bags, new marketing, and an upgrade of new savory and sweet menu options. 

The partnership began as an effort to associate the coffee chain with more than just a good cup of joe, but with wholesome food as well. La Boulange opened in San Francisco in 1996, and it wasn't until a month ago that they opened their Los Angeles location a few miles down the road from us. That explains why it only just recently caught my attention.

The sandwiches and pastries at Starbucks have long been a staple of any road trip, early morning, and airport travel for the last few years of our lives. Discovering the origin of the new pastry menu was pretty exciting. Thoroughly intrigued, we decided to try out this version of our favorite on-the-go breakfast. 


One thing Starbucks doesn't have, and really needs to add to it's menu is a Dark Chocolate Mocha. I'm not sure why they don't offer it, when so many other places got the memo- Whole Foods, Coffee Bean, Peet's Coffee. Needless to say when I saw it on the menu at La Boulange, I immediately ordered it. It was perfectly delicious, complete with two piping hot mallows! It wasn't overwhelmingly sweet, which I like, and you still taste a lot of rich dark chocolate flavor.


Another perk of this restaurant is the eclectic decor that you won't find at your average Starbucks. From hanging buckets organized into a chandelier of sorts, to mason jar lanterns along the booths and back wall, the creative decor is a refreshing change in atmosphere.



We each ordered a breakfast plate. Chris went with the Egg and Cheese Croissant Sandwich, and I ordered the 4th Street Scramble. The real thing was even better than it's Starbucks counterpart. To be fair, it's hard to compete with a full kitchen and made-to-order menu items. I love a good Starbucks breakfast sandwich, but it can't quite hold its weight against the full size original. 




The restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and even happy hour! I have to say I'm excited to come back and try out their lunch and dinner menu. If the breakfast is any indicator, I'm sure we won't be dissapointed!



Not to mention the pastry selection. Many of them look identical to the Starbucks around the corner, but there were some new ones on the list I'd like to try along with the Hot Cookie Latte....




While we really enjoyed our early morning breakfast at La Boulange, you can't deny the convenience factor of the ever present Starbucks. We definitely won't be giving up our Starbucks breakfast sandwiches, but it's nice to know where to go when we're craving a more authentic sit down meal.


Labels:

4 Comments:

At August 1, 2014 at 3:33 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I am requesting to go here when I next visit :)

 
At August 1, 2014 at 4:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You got it! :)

 
At August 4, 2014 at 11:46 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

These breakfast items look amazingly delicious! Next time I'm in the area I'll definitely have to visit La Boulange.

 
At August 4, 2014 at 12:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's really good! And the atmosphere is great for working on a laptop with some coffee :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home