Design Life Diaries: The Butterfly Pavilion

Monday, July 7, 2014

The Butterfly Pavilion


For as long as I can remember, I have been captivated by the elegant beauty of butterflies. They have an effortless grace and intricacy that never ceases to amaze me. When I was in kindergarten, our class performed a little musical about God's Creation of the world and I was absolutely ecstatic when I found out I could play a butterfly. My lovely artist of a mom hand painted me a pair of wings, which is actually very fitting for how natural butterflies appear as well- delicately hand painted. If you can't already tell, I really love butterflies. ;) 

It was no surprise that the moment I discovered the Butterfly Pavilion at the Natural History Museum of Los Angeles, I had two tickets booked for the very next weekend. It's been years since I've been to a butterfly garden, and even though I'm now a full grown adult, I can't deny how much I loved it!

It was amazing to see hundreds of gorgeous butterflies, each one unique in it's color and design, fluttering all around you. Housing no less than 30 different species from around the country, the pavilion can easily feel like a scene straight out of the movie Avatar.

There were a few times that a butterfly landed right on our head or shoulders, but unfortunately we were too slow to snap a picture of it. Apparently we smell pretty sweet :)









Be sure to stay alert and watch where you step, as oftentimes butterflies will land along the winding pathway. Before entering the pavilion, we were instructed to shade the butterflies with our hands to encourage them to fly away to a sunnier spot. It worked every time, and thankfully there were no accidents while we were there.


 


The exhibit is open from 10am to 5pm, all week long until September 1st. If you're looking for a fun way to spend a summer day, you should stop by and experience it for yourself!



Thank you all for your comments and encouraging words!! 
Your support means the world to me, I love hearing from you!!


Labels:

6 Comments:

At July 7, 2014 at 6:41 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Girl I am loving your pictures! They are so gorgeous, as are you too of course! :) That lace dress is fabulous too by the way!
xo,
Brittney Marie
Pretty Little Pursuits

 
At July 7, 2014 at 9:04 PM , Blogger Pear Phongsawad said...

These are incredible pictures! You really captured the beauty of nature very well!

Also, your lace dress is gorgeous!


xo, Pear

VanityPear29.blogspot.com

 
At July 7, 2014 at 10:27 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Brittney! The dress is Lauren Conrad and I'm slightly obsessed with it haha :) But I usually love anything with lace!

 
At July 7, 2014 at 10:29 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks! It was so beautiful there, and my macro lens helped out a bit too :)

 
At July 9, 2014 at 9:07 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures! I'd love to take my kids here…oh who am I kidding, I'd love to visit this little oasis of butterflies myself! I get so excited when I see a Monarch flying around my yard. I can't imagine being so up close to such a variety of butterflies all in the same place. Yes, I must visit soon! And ditto on your lace dress - it's gorgeous!

 
At July 17, 2014 at 2:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm the same way when I see a Monarch 'out in the wild' lol. You would love the butterfly garden!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home