Design Life Diaries: Sugarfish, Beverly Hills

Monday, June 9, 2014

Sugarfish, Beverly Hills


Two years ago, my friend Victoria took me on a girls night out date for the "best sushi I would ever have." Chris and I are avid sushi lovers so naturally I was pretty excited.


Other than at Nobu, we've never really ordered sashimi. Choosing instead to stick to yummy rolls and other complicated specialties.

With that in mind, I was a little apprehensive when my friend told me there were no sauces other than ponzu sauce. And even that sauce only comes on certain sushi, and you are not allowed to request extra.

No sauce, no fancy rolls, no tempura flakes, no good....right?
Wrong. So, so very wrong.

This sushi is AH-MA-ZING. Each course is served as soon as it is prepared, which is why they advise you to eat each course right away. The rice is slightly warm, which at first didn't sound appealing, but the taste is melt-in-your-mouth outstanding.

The restaurant prides itself on simplicity. No bells and whistles needed. Just top quality, well-prepared sushi at it's finest.


Sugarfish is an omakase style restaurant. This means the course of the meal is a pre-fix menu chosen by the chef.

There are three pre-fix menu's to choose from:
The Sushi Nozawa (their largest meal)
The Trust Me (a slightly smaller course with no "Daily Special")
The Trust Me Lite (for guests with small appetites or first-timers who don't realize how amazing the sushi is ;) )

They also offer a la carte menu items, and yes....Chris and I often add some of these onto our already giant Sushi Nozawa meals. SO good, I just can't stop.


Salmon sushi with toasted sesame seeds
Albacore sushi (my favorite!)

Snapper Sushi
Large Scallops (Daily Special)
Halibut Sushi
The last two courses are the Toro and Blue Crab hand rolls. I've never been a fan of hand rolls until eating at Sugarfish. The seaweed is crisp and warm, which is why they advise you to eat them right away. The toro roll is often almost sweet, and the texture is smooth as butter.

Personally, I choose to substitute the crab hand roll for the yellowtail hand roll. Chris, on the other hand, loves the Crab hand roll, so it's really just a taste preference on my part.


Toro Hand Roll

To get a feel for the care and meticulousness that goes into selecting and preparing the fish here, I suggest watching "Jiro Dreams of Sushi," available on Netflix. If you like sushi, it is well worth watching (we've seen it twice!). 

The service here has always been great. The staff is friendly, helpful, and always polite. Another great bonus is the tip is included, so that's one less thing you have to worry about at the end of the meal.

Note: There are several Sugarfish locations in the LA area. I highly recommend going to the Beverly Hills location. In our experience it has always had the best sushi, with the best service, and arguably the best location.

For anyone looking for an even more elevated sushi experience, the Beverly Hills location is the only Sugarfish that contains the Nozawa Bar restaurant as well. This restaurant consists of one wrap around table with only 8 seats, where the Executive Chef Fujita serves you directly. There is only one meal served per day (two on Saturday), and each meal will be approximately two and half hours long. The extensive omakase course is much more adventurous than the traditional Sugarfish menu and amazingly delicious. Chris and I went for Valentines Day this year and it was a once in a lifetime experience (although of course I want to go back!).

This was a long post, but I tried to keep it as short as possible! 
The lesson to take away is to go eat at Sugarfish! 


What's your favorite place to eat sushi?




Labels:

2 Comments:

At June 11, 2014 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It all looks so delicious! Definitely adding Sugarfish to my list of restaurants to visit.

 
At June 24, 2014 at 4:39 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I promise you won't be disappointed!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home