Design Life Diaries: Back to Basics

Monday, July 21, 2014

Back to Basics


This week I felt like getting back to basics with clean lines and simple color palettes (aka black and white). Simple and classic, it's always a safe choice for date nights, work events, or anything in between. 

Last week I was having one of those days where the world just seems to be against you. It all started when we had no coffee in the house, and let's just say it all went downhill from there. Just when I started feeling blue, my amazing dad surprised me with a new Michael Kors purse. He didn't even know I was having a lousy day, he was just being the crazy generous person that he is. Needless to say my mood completely flipped (how could it not?!) and I love my new purse!

For silhouettes, I like to stick to the rule of loose on top, tight on bottom or vise versa. If both are tight, the outfit tends to become a little scandalous. If both are loose, you risk looking a little bigger than you are. Lots of girls can pull off the 'oversized' look, but if you have some curves, everything falls away from your frame and it isn't always flattering.

I'm also attempting to rock some flat iron curls. It's a little tough to master the technique at first, but after a little while I started to get the hang of it. Practice makes perfect, so you can expect to see a lot more of these curls!








{{Top: B.P. Nordstrom // Purse: Michael Kors // Skirt: Devlin // Shoes: Vera Wang // 
Bracelets: RJ Graziano // Necklace: Nadri // Rings: Vintage }}


Labels:

11 Comments:

At July 21, 2014 at 4:02 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I love the color of your Michael Kors purse!
I'm not sure I have the patience for trying the flat iron curls (love them by the way) Maybe I'll experiment on a day that I have no where to be :)

 
At July 21, 2014 at 4:06 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, I love that the color will be great for fall as well. And I'd say that's the best way to learn, it does take some practice but there are some great tutorials on youtube that should help you too!

 
At July 21, 2014 at 4:35 PM , Blogger Kristin said...

Those curls plus the beautiful lighting = LOVE!!!!!! And I was going to say the same thing about the bag being great for Fall right around the corner :)

 
At July 21, 2014 at 8:08 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

It's the Nordstrom Anniversary sale right now, so a lot of their fall items are out for great prices!

 
At July 22, 2014 at 7:56 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Great! Thanks for the youtube tip!

 
At July 22, 2014 at 7:58 PM , Blogger Christina G said...

Love everything about your outfit, and who wouldn't be excited about a surprise MK purse?! XO

Christina
www.poshpair.com

 
At July 23, 2014 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Erin Kelly Cannon said...

That is so funny we have the same name title and such similar outfits...love it and love this whole look!!

xoxo
Erin @ The Fashion Canvas

 
At July 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Christina! It was an awesome surprise, I should have bad days more often ;)

 
At July 23, 2014 at 3:21 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Erin! I know how crazy is that?!

 
At July 23, 2014 at 9:43 PM , Blogger Miss Erin said...

Love this look your shoes are gorgeous !
Xo Miss Erin
www.misserinsays.com

 
At July 24, 2014 at 1:05 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Erin, you are so sweet!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home