Design Life Diaries: Candy Cookie bars

Friday, July 25, 2014

Candy Cookie bars


Holy. Cow. That's all I have to say about these everything-you-could-ask-for cookie bars. My friend Kathy keeps sending me new recipes to try, and every single one of them has been delicious! It's about time I shared one of them with you! 

Snickers, Reese's, pretzels, and peanut butter.....do I have your attention yet? Good, because if you like all of these goodies, you will love this easy to make dessert!

While this isn't the healthiest treat to eat during the summer, I'm a firm believer in keeping your core diet healthy so you can indulge from time to time. And this particular treat is worth every bit of indulgence. 

The first time I made this recipe, we had planned to bring them to Portland for my brother-in-law's wedding. Chris and I decided to taste-test one beforehand, and next thing you know half the pan was gone! These are so easy to make, I whipped up another batch in no time to bring with us. Crisis averted :)


Printable Recipe (here)
As always, you can print the recipe above or follow the step-by-step photo instructions below!

First, preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Then press your cookie dough into the bottom of a 9x13" pan. 



Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the dough is a light golden color. Let baked cookie cool completely. I like to put the pan in the freezer for a few minutes to speed up the cooling time.

While the cookie is cooling, prepare the peanut butter spread.

Mix together peanut butter, powdered sugar, and milk until the consistency is easy to spread, then layer onto cooled cookie crust.


Next, chop up your toppings! I didn't really even measure how much I was using of each, I just sprinkled it across the cookie as I saw fit. 

I've made a few variations of this recipe, but for today I chose to use salted peanuts, reese's cups, mini snicker squares, dark chocolate chips, and pretzels.




After you've pressed all of your toppings into the peanut butter, slice into cookie bars as big or small as you'd like. I divided mine into 12 bars.

Last but not least, enjoy your finished cookie bars!!



I love this recipe because it allows you to get as creative as you'd like! I even tried drizzling carmel over one of the squares- per Christopher's request ;) It was actually really good! Very sweet, but good!

You can use a pre-made caramel sauce from the grocery store, or make your own homemade version (recipe here).


Refrigerate or freeze any leftovers to avoid the chocolate from melting. I found that I actually like these bars even more after they've been in the freezer for a couple of hours!



Labels:

10 Comments:

At July 25, 2014 at 2:18 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

Mmmm! Looks even better than I imagined! So glad you enjoy it and I can't wait to try!

 
At July 25, 2014 at 2:57 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

You will love them! Thanks again for the recipe! :)

 
At July 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

OMG, these look amazing! I will need to try this out next time I'm craving something yummy.
www.kissthechic.com

 
At July 29, 2014 at 2:31 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

They are the perfect fix for any sweet tooth cravings! And the best part (or most dangerous part) is that they are SO easy to make!

 
At August 4, 2014 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I can feel my hips growing an inch, just by looking at this yummy dessert… my mouth is watering lol

 
At August 4, 2014 at 12:12 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hahaha I think mine may have after baking them twice so close together! lol

 
At August 13, 2014 at 11:20 AM , Blogger Becky M said...

Wow!! These look so amazingly delicious! Now I'm craving chocolate!

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

 
At August 15, 2014 at 10:36 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

They might even be TOO good....aka I couldn't stop eating them! I just posted a slightly healthier trail mix recipe with dark chocolate chips and it is amazing without as much guilt! ;)

 
At August 28, 2014 at 7:16 PM , Blogger Cindy Larkin said...

Oh my!! These look amazing Kelsie! So fun to find your blog through eighteen25! Do you have an Instagram? If so I'd love to follow you. Come find me! @lvfoodphotog

 
At August 31, 2014 at 6:26 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks! I do have an Instagram and I've just added you :) I love all of your pics!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home