Design Life Diaries: Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Thursday, September 25, 2014

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

With all the recent hype on what's in (or isn't) in the infamous Starbucks PSL, I decided to forgo my usual 'First Day of Fall' treat. The normal version is too sweet for my taste anyways, so I would always add in a few extra expresso shots to get more of a coffee flavor. This seemed like the perfect opportunity to make my own version that didn't give me a stomach ache after drinking it!

The number one goal was to find a recipe that used natural ingredients like organic maple syrup for sweetness, and real pumpkin instead of a chemical filled syrup. Why do we want to use real pumpkin? Well aside from the fact that it tastes better, organic pumpkin is incredibly healthy and packed with nutrients like vitamin A. This is vital for your eye health and immune system among many other things. Read more on pumpkin benefits here.

I've seen so many recipes for healthy, homemade replacements so I decided to print out a few promising ones to see if I could create something I liked! The first one I tried was good, but not great. Even though it was free of preservatives, syrups, and the endless list of the Starbucks PSL, it was still a little too sweet for my liking. I wasn't even able to finish the whole cup, and it honestly felt a little bit like I was drinking sugar milk. Chris and I have been watching our sugar intake (more on that later!) so I think my tastebuds just weren't used to it anymore!

After a few more trial and errors with different recipes, I finally came up with a taste balance that I LOVE! In my opinion, it's better than Starbucks! Now if I can just master some latte art, I will be a regular barista!

P.S. How cute are these mugs from Home Goods?! I just couldn't pass them up for my morning pumpkin spice lattes!

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

Healthy Pumpkin Spice Latte from Design Life Diaries  #homemade #pumpkinspice

Have you guys tried any homemade versions of the Pumpkin Spice Latte? What would you change/add to the recipe?





Labels: , , , ,

20 Comments:

At September 25, 2014 at 10:54 AM , Blogger Becky M said...

Oh my word - yum!! So glad you shared this! saving it for later!!

www.madeintheshadeblog.com

 
At September 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Kristin said...

Looks delicious!!! Trying this tomorrow morning :) thanks for sharing!!

 
At September 25, 2014 at 11:11 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Let me know how you like it, Becky! :D

 
At September 25, 2014 at 11:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Absolutely! :)

 
At September 25, 2014 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

YUM!! I think a new Thanksgiving tradition is in the making! (as well as leading up to Thanksgiving LOL)

 
At September 25, 2014 at 11:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

This would be perfect for Thanksgiving, you're right!

 
At September 25, 2014 at 4:44 PM , Blogger Louann Kristy said...

Loving the mug !!

~ Lu
xx
http://littlestepsbigheart.blogspot.com

 
At September 26, 2014 at 8:22 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, me too!! :D

 
At September 26, 2014 at 10:38 AM , Blogger deniseja9 said...

Oooh, this looks delicious! You're right, PSL is too sweet and I never see any copycat recipes with low sugar options so I'm excited to try this, hopefully today because I have all the ingredients! I look forward to hearing more about yours and Chris' low sugar consumption, that's something we're steering towards more, too.

 
At September 26, 2014 at 1:25 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

That's the best feeling when you already have all the ingredients! Let me know how you like it, and if you would change anything too :) That's great that your cutting back on sugar too. We've already felt huge improvements in our energy levels and overall feeling of health, so I'm excited to see what a few more months will do!

 
At September 26, 2014 at 8:30 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Pumpkin Spice is so delicious and I love that your version doesn't have much sugar. The Starbucks version is too sweet for me! Can't wait to try it!
Xo, Corazón
http://www.lipstickwithcoffee.com/

 
At September 28, 2014 at 2:53 PM , Blogger deniseja9 said...

Tried it today...wouldn't change a thing! I did use a stick blender, though, because my vitamix was dirty #newmomlife ;)
Thanks for sharing! :)

 
At September 29, 2014 at 10:44 AM , Blogger Karina Casillas said...

This looks absolutely delicious, thanks for sharing! :D

xo, Kina
CHECK OUT MY LATEST!
thelovelylook.com

 
At September 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, I'm so glad you love it too! Hahaha the hashtag is the best! Can't wait to meet the little guy :D

 
At September 29, 2014 at 1:47 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Karina!

 
At September 29, 2014 at 1:49 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Same here, it's sugar overload in the original. Let me know how you like the homemade version!

 
At October 1, 2014 at 11:30 AM , Blogger Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Perfect for Fall and I love the photos of the mug with the pumpkins! Dynamite Duo! lol! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
hugs,
Jann

 
At October 1, 2014 at 1:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Jann! Hope you found it helpful :D

 
At October 20, 2014 at 5:12 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Drinking it now! Delish!

 
At October 26, 2014 at 10:35 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome, I'm glad you like it!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home