Design Life Diaries: Nobu, Malibu

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Nobu, Malibu


Ah, Nobu...so many memories. I first visited Nobu with my sister and cousin in the Bahamas at the Atlantis Resort. We really had no idea what we were getting into, and couldn't believe how amazing the food was. We also couldn't believe all those numbers at the bottom of the bill (!!!). 


Fast forward years later to my dad and me checking out LA colleges, and that's where we found the Beverly Hills Nobu. Again, amazing.

I have been frequenting it for fancy meals ever since. Just recently, Chris and I heard about the newly relocated ocean-front Nobu in Malibu and knew we needed to pay it a visit. 

All Nobu restaurants have a sleek and modern aesthetic appeal, but once you add a gorgeous open-air patio right on the Pacific Ocean, it's game over. 


This location also offers indoor seating, which I imagine is in higher demand during the winter months or in the off chance that it's raining. You can see the amazing chefs behind the sushi bar working their magic!


Edamame is edamame, right? Somehow even this is better at Nobu. The thin flakes of salt are just enough to bring out the flavor, without overpowering the edamame itself. 



Why hello there, Mango Passion Martini. I'm a little biased with anything Mango, but this drink is perfectly sweet and flavorful. The fresh mango puree is so much better than the mango flavoring (yuck!) used in most other restaurants.




The Yellowtail and Jalapeño sashimi. I have been ordering this for as long as I can remember and it never disappoints. A tad pricier than the other appetizers, but the symphony of flavors is definitely worth the price tag. Even the flakes of cilantro are intended to be eaten with every piece and it completes the overall flavor of the dish. I definitely recommend it.




The Malibu Burger sliders are only offered during lunch hours (The last lunch reservation is 2:45pm). I could have eaten at least two more. They are topped with caramelized onions that add great flavor and the bread is pleasantly soft and sweet. The aioli dipping sauce was so good, we almost asked for more!




A break between courses to enjoy the view from our table! Nothing but waves and sunshine on this relaxing day.


The Wagyu Beef Tacos. All of the tacos they offer are worth a try, but the Wagyu beef is incredible. So unbelievably savory, just one will satisfy your taste buds. The rib-eye tacos are about half the price, but upgrading to Wagyu is worth every extra penny.



Here's one that a lot of people probably haven't tried or maybe even seen before. It's called Uni, and it is the Japanese word for sea urchin. We first tried it at Nozawa Bar, and have been hooked on the creamy texture ever since. 

Admittedly, it's not for the sushi lover who only eats california rolls. It has a strong ocean taste, but if you are a seasoned sashimi lover I think you'll really enjoy it. I prefer it with rice and seaweed, but it can stand on it's own as well.




The Black Miso Cod is definitely a restaurant favorite. This is another dish that I order every single time I am here. I don't know if it's just that I haven't been to Nobu in a while, but this one was the best I've ever eaten to this day. The Malibu location really knocked this one out of the park for us. There is never any fishy taste to this dish and the sweet miso sauce is absolutely amazing. That piece of tempura eggplant was a welcomed addition that paired greatly with the black cod. 





I can't recommend this place enough. It's perfect for a romantic date night or an afternoon brunch with friends. You know what they say- location, location, location. Now pair that with the incredible cuisine Nobu is known for creating and the result is absolute perfection.

If you are looking to make reservations on the weekend, book your table at least a few weeks in advance. We grabbed the last reservation for lunch and we had called a week beforehand (dinner was already booked full!) 

So plan ahead, come hungry, and enjoy the amazing views of this Malibu restaurant. I think this place just jumped into our top five!





Labels:

4 Comments:

At May 1, 2014 at 9:12 PM , Blogger Ronee said...

I just showed my hubby these pics. Pretty sure that was all the convincing he needed ;) Will have to put this on our list for date night (or day).

 
At May 9, 2014 at 11:50 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

I promise you won't be disappointed! :)

 
At May 19, 2014 at 8:38 AM , Blogger Cristina said...

Beautiful pictures! I would love to check this place out one day!

 
At May 19, 2014 at 9:59 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Cristina!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home